Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Jul 20 06:55:22 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 08:46 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I vote for using Genesis albums and/or song names. For instance, how
> about "Fedora 18: Land of Confusion" (suppose a radical Gnome 4.0
> comes along ;-P). Or "Fedora 19: I can't dance". Fedora 20: Invisible
> Touch

Over twenty years ago, some SF fans started a new convention, media
oriented with a strong bias toward Dr. Who.  They named it Gallifrey.
As many new conventions do, Gallifrey One went deeply into debt, and the
organizers swore that there'd never be a Gallifrey Two until the debt
was paid off.

Next year was Gallifrey One, The Sequel.  This was followed by Gallifrey
One in 3-D, Gallifrey One Goes Fourth and so on.  Gallifrey One is now
old enough to vote.  (Yes, the debt was paid off long ago.)  I mention
this to show how easy it can be to be clever when you're naming things.
  BTW, the complete list is in the Wikipedia article if you're either
interested or want to see how many of the references you can catch.