Is Gnome becoming a Microsoft project?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:00:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Veeti Paananen
<veeti.paananen at rojekti.fi> wrote:
> Vuze gobbled up 160 megabytes instantly which is completely
> unacceptable for a torrent client.

I haven't tested myself but I'll take your figure at face value. So
what? There's bloated apps in c,c++, java, you name it.

I run a Java based FTP server that is 48 KB big and uses about 9M of ram
http://peter.sorotokin.com/ftpd/ftpd.jar

Back to Vuze, that figure is less than 8% of available RAM on a 2GB
system and 16% of RAM on a 1GB RAM system. Also, Vuze is much more
than a simple Bittorrent client, it provides embedded playback, cd
burning, etc. Comparing it with uTorrent is like comparing SeaMonkey
suite to Chromium...

A small price to pay to have the same app running on any OS with a JVM
available instead of having to start the "oh please, someone port app
xyz to my favorite OS, pleeaaase". H*ck there' s even OpenJDK ports
these days for non-mainstream OSs like FreeBSD and OS/2, FWIW**.

SECOND PART, toolkits...

Swing provides native look and feel on Windows, GTK, and OSX. Not all
Java apps use it, like not all C++ desktop apps use QT or GTK... you
need to call setNativeLookAndFeel

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/6_desktop_features/

here two screenshots of muCommander on Windows XP, Fedora 17 and Win7
for your visual comparison

1. MuCommander on WinXP with native LookAndFeel
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6668/java6swingwinxpnativelo.jpg

2. MuCommander on Fedora 17 with native (GTK) LookAndFeel
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3637/javamucommanderf17.png

as you can see it extends to most widgets too:
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2057/javagtknativelookwidget.png

3. Java app muCommander with native LAF on Win7
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1148/javamucommanderwin7nati.jpg

[ App is "muCommander" from http://ho.io/mucommander - JWS launcher
http://ho.io/mu-commander ]

What you probably loathe is the default "Metal" or "Nimbus" look of
Java apps, if you donĀ“t call the Native look and feel API. (probably
old  apps designed to run on Java 1.4 or earlier, although many
recently updated apps do not use native look and feel for whatever
reason, mostly because the authors have not even heard of the new APIs
since Java 5 onwards...). (4)

Just my $0.02
FC

4. "Ugly" look (Nimbus) with no native look and feel api call...
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/374/javanimbuslaf.png

**
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/openjdk7.tbz
http://svn.netlabs.org/java/