F17 External Monitor on 945GM

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Thu Jul 26 12:23:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:

> Philippe LeCavalier <support <at> plecavalier.com> writes:
>

> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Philippe LeCavalier <support <at>
> plecavalier.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone.
> > A yes. The infamous Intel 945 chipset...I waded through the whole
> sluggish
> feel issues of the >2048 res issue. Then an update appeared to have
> addressed
> all my issues(no idea which one because the one that was supposed to fix it
> didn't).
> >
> > So here are the symptoms: if I connect an external monitor(VGA) it won't
> light
> up at all. My LCD flickers and comes back to it's original state. Fine. The
> display settings reflect that one was connected and typically ids it
> properly.
> Again, fine. I then set an appropriate resolution and placement for both
> and hit
> apply. At this point the screen flickers again and my laptop comes back
> but the
> monitor does nothing(orange light). I can however, bring my cursor passed
> the
> LCD to where the monitor "is" but it's not lit so no joy there. If I let
> the
> time run out on the dialog everything goes back to normal. No harm no
> foul. If I
> play with any of the kbd combo keys to force the external monitor
> gnome-shell
> freaks out and I'm forced to recover using the console. The only thing I
> can
> successfully accomplish is Fn+F5 resulting in the external monitor
> only-type
> setup. Recovering from that without restarting X is not possible. If I
> toggle
> back to my LCD the screen flickers and spins. Same goes for disconnecting
> the
> VGA cable. At this point I can't go back to the monitor either. I have no
> choice
> but to open a console and restart Gnome-Shell. The odd time I can't even
> do that
> and must power off(ouch! haven't had to do that in Linux for years)
> >

> > -- Thanks,
> > Phil
> >

> Hi Phil -
>
> I had some similar problems with FC16 on an HP laptop with the i915 chip
> set.  X
> still starts goofy with an external monitor attached but a simple:
>
> xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1
>
> sorts out how much of the display should be on each monitor.
>
> The trivial oddity that I have is that, for some reason, this laptop
> monitor
> always comes up at zero brightness.  Have you tried adjusting the screen
> brightness on the laptop once everything is up?  I have to wait until X is
> up
> for this to work.  The text output from booting goes to the external
> [...]

Thanks Dave! your suggestions haven't lead to a solution
(yet) but I finally, finally found an error msg I can report back...

When I connect the monitor I get this[4] and this[5]. Hopefully this gives
someone the proverbial light bulb effect. All it tells me is that well, the
monitor isn't powering on, which I already knew all too well ;) Just to
reiterate, I can force the external on with the kbd shortcut but the
results are that I loose my LCD. The goal here is achieving dual display
and not just external. btw there are more EDID errors just don't know if
they're relevant or not.

Do we thinks me have enough to post a bug or do me needs more nfo?

references(seem to have lost me original refs...anyway):
[4][drm:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power on
[5][drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder
is 16