Mounting Galaxy S3 internal SD card

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 12:37:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 20:29 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 and would like to transfer files
> between it and my fc15 box. When I insert the USB cable, it seems to
> mount it with a file manager pop-up showing
> "SAMSUNG_Android_SPH-L710", but it's otherwise not accessible on the
> filesystem.
>
> How was it mounted?
>
> I've found several references to jmtpfs and MTP, but I was previously
> able to mount my original Galaxy without any additional software, so
> I'd appreciate a better explanation of what's happening.

You don't say what model you had previously, but at least some later
ones (I have the Google Nexus model) use Android 4.x, which does not
support direct access as a mass storage device. According to Google,
this because the phone's "SD Card" is just a region of main memory and
it would be dangerous to allow unmediated access to it.

IOW you need to use MTP or similar. I've had success using Nautilus,
which detects the phone and can mount it via a userland library
(presumably libMTP but I haven't checked). I also installed an FTP
server on the phone; there are several available.

poc