External disk problem.

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 08:44:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 20:13 -0700, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:
> That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
> properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.
>
> I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
> after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
> gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.

An eSATA device should be able to suspend and resume properly (just like
the other ATA devices in your system).

Debugging it may be difficult unless you can get console logs showing
what's happening during the suspend/resume cycle (serial console or
possibly netconsole).

What state is the device in following a resume?
(/sys/block/sd*/device/state).

Regards,
Bryn.