External disk problem.

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 09:59:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 17:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 04:44 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > What state is the device in following a resume?
> > (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).
>
> I am not so sure that is a "good" indication of anything.  I have 2 drives on my system /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

It's a fine indication of the state the kernel thinks the device is in
(that's what it's there for). If that file indicates the device is
running but in fact you can't issue I/O to it you'd suspect a problem in
the driver. If it's blocked or offlined you can look into what caused
that to happen.

> [egreshko at meimei block]$ cat /sys/block/sdd/device/state
> running

Are they working? What are you trying to prove? For an active, working
device this is the normal state.