Linux or GNU/Linux

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 10:10:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 10:50 +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> Interesting, I've never come across such a beast. Could you supply a URL
> to one that you'd recommend as I'd be fascinated to check one out?

Embedded systems may use considerably less GNU bits than we're used to
in a general purpose distribution: dietlibc/uClibc, busybox etc. You can
even compile the kernel with a non-GCC compiler if you really want to.

Going back in time, prior to glibc 2.0's widespread adoption by distros,
most used a Linux-specific glibc fork named Linux libc that was
maintained outside the GNU project.

For general purpose use on modern systems though the GNU components tend
to make much more sense than the alternatives.

Bryn.