synchronize time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 2 10:41:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 08:28 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> My hardware was set to UTC time. My system time was set to local time
> CDT. But until UTC was checked in the system-config-date GUI, nether
> cups printer browsing would work nor would ntpd stay running.

If your hardware is set to UTC, then your time configuration should be
set to UTC.  The setting is for what the hardware clock is set to, not
what the software clock is running on.

When you set what timezone you are in, the computer works out the
difference between it and UTC, and your software clocks show you your
local time.

If the time is wrong, then that could upset some services that might
treat files from the future as being invalid, or very old files as some
type of other problem.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686