Microphone does not work with Skype

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Fri Mar 2 18:43:19 UTC 2012

On 03/02/2012 10:12 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Steve Searle<steve at stevesearle.co.uk>  wrote:
>>> I have just installed Skype on F16 x64, which is working fine except
>>> the microphone -- I can view and hear the other call party, but she
>>> cannot hear. Is there some way to repair this?
>>
>> Check your main sound settings. Is the input device set to the right
>> thing - mine was set to the internal sound card by default, and I needed
>> to select the usb webcam instead.
>
> Thanks to all respondents! I have meanwhile changed something on the
> audio settings and got Skype working fine. However, I changed
> something afterwards, and now the microphone does not work anymore
> with Skype. Is there some program to test the microphone?

Install the PulseAudio volume control (yum install pavucontrol) and use
it.  It allows you to see the various inputs and change the inputs
while you watch the levels in real time.
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -