lvm

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Mar 5 00:50:22 UTC 2012

Am 05.03.2012 01:36, schrieb pringler01 at gmail.com:

> On Mar 4, 2012 9:00 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net
>>
>> Am 05.03.2012 00:35, schrieb Peter Larsen:
>> > We're not longer using legacy grub. Even with F14 we shipped Grub2 (it
>> > may even have been included earlier - not sure). We've had this ability
>> > for a long time now.
>>
>> BTW:
>>
>> what does F14 matter in this context?
>>
>> i am in production since 2009 with ext4 on machines installed 2008
>> so how DID YOU boot from ext4 in 2009 did you?
>>
>> that is what i call history and not F14
>> i was on board in times wehre ext4 was only theory
>
> Sir, please make an effort in what you write. is very difficult to read what you
> are saying and cursing dont help much. thank you and please continue your discussion

first if you quote the mailing-list signature is difficult to read

what is difficult to read?

* not so long ago GRUB2 was no topic in Fedora (around 2009)
* but ext4 got stable late in 2008
* in 2009 ext4 was fully supported for /
* but you could not boot from ext4
* you needed /boot as ext2/ext3

so no problem on my setups having /boot all the time as
own partition and in case of virtual machines even as own
disk because you can expand it and with a little more work
even shrink (new disk, data migration, throw away the old)

i am usually installing operation system ONE TIME for many
years, with a little luck for my whole lifetime and if you
have complex setups the migration / preparing is always
better than install from scratch and rebuild all your
configurations / customaziations

so in my wold LVM is useless, the big data are on sevrers
this servers are ALL virtual machines and so there is
no LVM needed for expand disks

the only exception with LVM is the fileserver, only for the
datadrive because in 2010 it was not possible to create a
single virtual disk with % TB

yes, i am speaking about professional IT where things are
well planned and not randomly installed

* OS
* disk layout
* storage sizes
* internal repo/buildservers
* SAN storages

who needs LVM having his server on a SAN-storage which
supports snapshots, having a virtualization layer supporting
snapshots and at least having a virtualization layer supporting
consitent backups of running servers?

home IT does not interest me in any way