Problem with su -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 6 01:26:10 UTC 2012

On 05/03/12 19:15, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/03/05 16:02, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>>
>>> Then do
>>>
>>> set | grep ^PS
>>>

>>  From "good" computer ~
>>
>> [bobg at box6 Downloads]$ set | grep ^PS
>> PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '
>> PS2='> '
>> PS4='+ '
>>

>> "Bad" computer ~
>>
>> [bobg at box9 ~]$ set | grep ^PS
>> PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '
>> PS2='> '
>> PS4='+ '
>
> Um, do it when you are getting that bash-4.2.5 prompt. It WILL be
> different
> or else it's time to scrub the hacker out of your system.
>
> {^_^}

        Why didn't I think of that? Because I'm trying to do too many
        things at once, distractions here.

        "Bad" computer, "Good" prompt as user:
        [bobg at box9 ~]$ set | grep ^PS
        PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '
        PS2='> '
        PS4='+ '

        Bad prompt as root:
        [bobg at box9 ~]$ su
        Password:
        bash-4.2# set | grep ^PS
        PS1='\s-\v\$ '
        PS2='> '
        PS4='+ '

        It is different but where does it come from?