Strange message at startup

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 7 20:13:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 13:02 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 12:14 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > When Fedora puts up the first login screen after system startup,
> > the screen is black except for the login area which shows the names
> > of the users who might want to log in, and a message partly blocked
> > by the login area which says:
> >
> > A problem h[<login area>]dministrator.
> >
> > The bar at the top of the screen showing the date at the center and
> > three controls at the right is missing.
> >
> > There is (obviously) some problem that I should attend to, but it's
> > not clear what it is.
> >

> It sounds like the selected theme has a problem. But we would need
> to know the display manager you are using, (kdm, gdm, or xdm) before
> giving you the steps to fix it. The error message probably shows up
> in the logs in /var/log or /var/log/(display manager)

A very good suggestion, particularly since the problem arose after
installing a new video card, namely:
	nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a2)
In the process of installing the card the BIOS lost all its settings; I
set it up again, but may not have got things exactly right.  (I change
BIOS settings about once every 3 years.)

Unfortunately a search of /var/log as root:
	# find -type f | xargs fgrep Administrator
returns nothing.  It looks like the display manager is gdm, since
/var/log/gdm exists and no other /var/log/*dm does. This may be a
problem, since I use KDE.

jon