Is there some trick to booting F16 minimal install CD?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Mar 11 17:09:01 UTC 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> On 10/03/12 18:27, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> On 08/03/12 00:07, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>>
>>> I made a minimal CD to start an install from hard drive.
>>> It doesn't work.

I case it matters, it is a CD, not a mostly empty DVD.
It crapped out on my CD drive also.

>>> The boot menu asks me to install or troubleshoot.
>>> Hitting enter for install results in lots of text
>>> scrolling off the page followed by catatonia.
>>> The first time, the last line was incomplete.
>>> The next time I used
>>> linux ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg
>>> The last line before catatonia included something like "end of dump".

> As an update I have discovered that the Nouveau driver for nVidia cards
> has problems in Fedora 16. Hence on the network install CD or a spin CD
> you need to use the troubleshooting install/run which then uses the vesa
> driver instead.

That would seem to not be my problem.  From lspci:
"01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series"

That doesn't mean that the troubleshooting install/run wouldn't help.
Alas, I cannot figure out how to do anything with it.
I can tell neither what is selected nor what is
supposed to happen if I hit enter on a selection.
For that matter, I'm not clear on the dividing lines between selections.

I'd like to install from a hard drive and use a kickstart file,
but I can't even get the minimal CD to boot.
I was going to give up and just stick a DVD into a drive and boot,
but I can't burn DVDs anymore.
Apparently the burner portion gave up the
ghost after burning a memory tester.
The minimal CD craps out from my CD drive also.

Is there a way I could get the complete install
iso into a partition and boot from that?

The install documentation is truly awful.
'Tisn't the least bit obvious how to do anything
but stick a DVD into a drive and boot.
Even that is in 7.1.1.

I think the problem is an assumption that anyone who isn't
a gury will just stick a DVD into a drive and boot.
No doubt the gurus find the documentation overly verbose.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily