how to get nm-applet switched on when making a LiveCD

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:03:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:26:40 +0100 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ranjan,
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 18:41, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to put together a LiveCD. I have sort of put together one,
> > however, I am unable to get the nm-applet switched on. So, this is what
> > I do: start stalonetray which pops up. Then I type nm-applet which
> > comes up, however it says that the (live) user does not have the
> > ability to switch on the service. (Something like that, at least). My
> > question is: what in the .ks file allows this to happen?
> >

> A live system is non-trivial. It needs a liveuser and root with no
> passwd for starters. Did you start from your own kickstart? I would
> suggest fedora-live-base.ks as a good starting point:
>
> <http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=tree>
>
> Your best bet probably would be to include fedora-live-base and just
> add your own package selection and customisation in yours.

Yes, I did include the above (trying to build a LiveCD without a DE),
and did the following later (not sure what some of these after the
package inclusion/exclusion is doing):

%include fedora-live-base.ks

# remove gnome-packagekit
-apper
-gnome-packagekit

%packages
### FVWM
slim
fvwm
pcmanfm

### internet
firefox
icedtea-web
pidgin
sylpheed

### office
abiword
gnumeric
osmo

### graphics
epdfview
mtpaint

### audio & video
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
asunder
gxine
gxine-mozplugin
pavucontrol
pnmixer

# pam-fprint causes a segfault in LXDM when enabled
-fprintd-pam

# needed for automatic unlocking of keyring (#643435)
gnome-keyring-pam

NetworkManager-gnome

# needed for xdg-open to support LXDE
-perl-File-MimeInfo

xcompmgr
xdg-user-dirs-gtk
-xscreensaver
slock

# remove gnome-packagekit
-apper
-gnome-packagekit

#remove packages
#
#Base:
-PackageKit
-fedora-release-notes
-krb5-workstation

#Base-X
-glx-utils

notification-daemon
-xfce4-notifyd
stalonetray

cat >> /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys << EOF
# disable screensaver locking and make sure gamin gets started
cat > /etc/xdg/autostart << FOE
/usr/libexec/gam_server
@stalonetray
@nm-applet
@pcmanfm -d
/usr/libexec/notification-daemon
FOE

# set up preferred apps
cat > /etc/xdg/libfm/pref-apps.conf << FOE
[Preferred Applications]
WebBrowser=mozilla-firefox.desktop
MailClient=redhat-sylpheed.desktop
FOE

# set up auto-login for liveuser
sed -i 's|# autologin=dgod|autologin=liveuser|g' /etc/slim.conf

# Show harddisk install on the desktop
sed -i -e
's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/' /usr/share/applications/liveinst.d
esktop mkdir /home/liveuser/Desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/liveinst.desktop /home/liveuser/Desktop

# this goes at the end after all other changes.
chown -R liveuser:liveuser /home/liveuser
restorecon -R /home/liveuser

EOF

%end

Many thanks and best wishes,