Getting FC16 to shut down

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 17 20:24:39 UTC 2012

In both GNOME (fallback mode) and xfce, if I click the shutdown entry in
the user drop down, I get a pop-up asking if I really mean it. WHile I'd
like to eliminate that step, if I click SHUTDOWN again I get a logout
sequence ending back at the login screen where there's a power icon
leading to a shutdown which finally actually powers down the machine. Is
this intended operation, that as Windows users leave the dark side they
are so used to having their hand held that Fedora has to emulate the
nanny sequence?

I see this on a number of 32 bit installs, and on the 64bit VM, having
issues with lack of time to upgrade the rest of my machines, I see
suspend is still broken WRT getting the network back up in some
functional way, no surprise, I don't even bother to report it any more,
but shutdown really should work.

Why is it this way?
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>