Getting FC16 to shut down

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Mar 18 16:55:39 UTC 2012

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 16:24 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> In both GNOME (fallback mode) and xfce, if I click the shutdown entry in
>> the user drop down, I get a pop-up asking if I really mean it. WHile I'd
>> like to eliminate that step, if I click SHUTDOWN again I get a logout
>> sequence ending back at the login screen where there's a power icon
>> leading to a shutdown which finally actually powers down the machine. Is
>> this intended operation, that as Windows users leave the dark side they
>> are so used to having their hand held that Fedora has to emulate the
>> nanny sequence?
>>
>> I see this on a number of 32 bit installs, and on the 64bit VM, having
>> issues with lack of time to upgrade the rest of my machines, I see
>> suspend is still broken WRT getting the network back up in some
>> functional way, no surprise, I don't even bother to report it any more,
>> but shutdown really should work.
>>
>> Why is it this way?
>> --
>> Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>
>>     "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>
> This is easy to fix. Add an applet to your panel the runs the program:
> poweroff or shutdown -h

Thanks for the the thought, I can (and have) just run that from the
command line as a workaround, the issue was more of getting the shutdown
option to work as I assume was intended.

It may be related to having a command line window open, a few trys with
closing the terminal first resulted in the shutdown functioning. Most odd.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>