error in building a RPM file

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:12:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been playing around building a RPM file. The file in question is
> peksystray available from:
>
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/peksystray/peksystray/0.4.0/peksystray-0.4.0.tar.bz2
>
> I am able to download it and compile it using:
>
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install-strip
>
> No problems.
>
> Now to create a RPM. I have tried using rpmbuild on the attached spec
> file (rpmlint -vi on it gives no errors and no warnings) in the
> SPECS sub-directory within my rpmbuild directory using:
>
> rpmbuild -ba peksystray.spec
>
> but I get errors. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

I did a quick spec review but I didn't download the source. I've made
some tweaks to your spec and added comments. Also note that while
rpmdev-newspec and even vi will create default spec files that contain
unnecessary sections and tags as long as you're not building for
Fedora < 14 or EL < 6, such as:

BuildRoot:
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT in %install
%clean entirely