Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Thu Mar 22 17:04:46 UTC 2012

Chris Rouch wrote:

> I'd agree that the systemctl syntax is clumsier. But on my machines,
> the boot time has reduced dramatically.

I agree that boot time seems to have been reduced,
at a guess about 15% in my case.
However, I hardly ever re-boot,
so any saving there was outweighed many times
by the fact that I had to read what seemed like a very long tome
to discover how to start openvpn.
I still haven't discovered the equivalent of "chkconfig openvpn on"
under the new dispensation.

But to return to boot-speed,
how could using systemctl be any faster than an exactly equivalent command
expressed in chkconfig terms?
If the process could be speeded up in one case
surely it could be speeded up in exactly the same way in the other case?

And even if it were true that the change lessened boot-time,
in my view if a process runs twice as fast but it takes twice as long
to work out how to get the process to run at all
then there has been no improvement at all.

The value put on "user time", ie the time taken by a human being
exercising his brain cells, should be 10^n times the value
put on "machine time", where n is probably about 8.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net