Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 23 17:57:40 UTC 2012

Am 23.03.2012 18:36, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 23.03.2012 10:26, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
>>> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl start openvpn.service
>>> Failed to issue method call: Unit openvpn.service failed to load: No such
>>> file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status openvpn.service'
>>> for details.
>>> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl enable openvpn.service
>>> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Nb I know how to start the service,
>>> but I don't know any simple way to enable it.
>>
>> why the hell do you not read answers?
>
> Please read more carefully the posting you are responding to

please try to understadn what people are telling you

> I had been advised that the commands I used would start and enable openvpn.
> I was simply pointing out that this is not so.

you were advised by people never seen openvpn and
blindly thinking it acts the same way as all other
services

> Again, read what I said: I don't know any SIMPLE way to enable openvpn.
> I do not regard what you wrote as a simple way to enable a service.
> Also, as I pointed out, it did not work for me,
> though I am quite prepared to believe this was due to a typo
> or other error on my part.
> (I would not be likely to make an error with "chkconfig openvpn on".)

the quote above is NOT from me

you simply do not recognize that this is a SPECIAL CASE because it
makes sense to have it active as client in one network while another
instance providing openvpn as service on the same machine

how do you do that?
come on tell as the syntax to enable two openvpn instances
(one server and one client) with chkconfig!

ONE LAST time i post you the systemd-unit to let openvpn
behave like all the years before - only one instance possible
and after create this damned file you can even do
"chkconfig openvpn on" because it will be redirected to systemctl
in the right order

and if you like the simple syntax you can put as many
copies as you need under /etc/systemd/system/ for
different instances which different parameters
and use "chkconfig" for all of them

so please stop whine around because ONE SPECIFIC SPECIAL SERVICE
for nearly all others you can use "chkconfig" as all the years before

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/openvpn.service
[Unit]
Description=OpenVPN
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/openvpn/openvpn.pid
ExecStartPre=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon --writepid /var/run/openvpn/openvpn.pid --cd /etc/openvpn/ --config openvpn.conf
ExecStopPost=
Restart=always
RestartSec=1

[Install]