booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Mar 23 21:30:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, stan wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:23:54 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> Oops. I should have written .PAE.img
>
> Kernels don't end in .img, that's the initrd / initramfs.  Here is a
> sample kernel name:
> vmlinuz-2.6.42.12-1.20120323.fc15.x86_64
> Here is the rpm initramfs file name for that kernel:
> initramfs-2.6.42.12-1.20120323.fc15.x86_64.img

Oops. Right the first time.
The kernels end in .PAE .  The ramdisk images end in .PAE.img .

> I think pentium 4 is fairly old hardware.  I doubt either the kernel
> developers or Fedora developers are using such hardware, and so you
> could be hitting a regression that wasn't caught during
> kernel development because no one is running that hardware.

Any idea how I would find out for sure?

> No.  I am suggesting you create a custom initramfs for the DVD kernel
> for your system.  Use it instead of the generic DVD initramfs.  I am
> suggesting this because it might allow the boot process to bypass the
> problem it is having running the DVD kernel.  It should still find the

That also means that I would have to generate the image somehow.
I've no idea how I would do that.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily