Help with sound on Fc16

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 20:52:20 UTC 2012

On 03/23/12 18:38, stan wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:05:26 -0700
> don fisher<hdf3 at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find documentation on the alsa/pulse audio system. My
>> goal is to set it up independent of gnome or KDE.
>
> This is the default configuration for Fedora out of the box.
>
>> If I run KDE the sound works. If I run twm or equivalent, it does
>> not. Why is the sound configuration buried in the window manager?
>
> It isn't.  Go to a console, Ctl-LeftAlt-F2, and type aplay<some wav>.
> You should hear sound.  Gnome and KDE provide an extra layer of
> abstraction on top of pulseaudio, but that shouldn't affect your
> ability to use sound outside of them.  If you have a standard install,
> LeftAlt-F1 should get you back to the gui.  If not, try LeftAlt-F7.  I
> use mplayer to play music through pulse at consoles all the time.
> Audacious should do the same in any window manager (it's worked in
> every wm I've tried).
>
>> What do I have to do to implement the same function that KDE provides?
>
> Do you have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed?  It sets up the system
> so that things that are sent to alsa are routed through pulseaudio, and
> is the default on Fedora. If it is, and sound doesn't work, adding your
> user to the audio group should work. Note that pulse only allows a
> single user to have sound at any time unless it is run as a daemon
> (last I checked).

aplay another_brick_in_the_wall_part_2.wav
Playing WAVE 'another_brick_in_the_wall_part_2.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

but no sound:-(

I looked online and found a few things as shown below

udevadm info -qall -p /sys/class/sound/card0/
P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0
E: UDEV_LOG=3
E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0
E: SUBSYSTEM=sound
E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:14.2
E: ID_PATH_TAG=pci-0000_00_14_2
E: ID_FOR_SEAT=sound-pci-0000_00_14_2
E: SOUND_INITIALIZED=1
E: ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=ATI Technologies Inc
E: ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
E: ID_BUS=pci
E: ID_VENDOR_ID=0x1002
E: ID_MODEL_ID=0x4383
E: SOUND_FORM_FACTOR=internal
E: SYSTEMD_WANTS=sound.target
E: TAGS=:seat:systemd:

pacmd list-cards
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
 >>> 0 card(s) available.

pactl stat
Currently in use: 1 blocks containing 63.9 KiB bytes total.
Allocated during whole lifetime: 8015 blocks containing 28.3 MiB bytes
total.
Sample cache size: 0 B
User name: dfisher
Host Name: dfpc47
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 0.9.23
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: auto_null
Default Source: auto_null.monitor

pactl list provides a huge amount of output, but I noticed that "Sink
#0" is the "Dummy Output".

The audoo card shows up under udev, but  pacmd list-cards says that no
cards are available. Any ideas? Again, KDE can output sound, so the is
something (many things:-) that I am missing.

Thanks,
Don