Fw: Help with sound on Fc16

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sun Mar 25 16:02:43 UTC 2012

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:02:07 -0700
From: stan <gryt2 at q.com>
To: don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Help with sound on Fc16

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:52:20 -0700
don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:

> aplay another_brick_in_the_wall_part_2.wav
> Playing WAVE 'another_brick_in_the_wall_part_2.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
>
> but no sound:-(

Alsa thinks you have sound devices or it wouldn't play.  Go te the
console again and type
aplay -l
This should list all the devices that alsa is aware of.  If you have
cards, it is just a matter of getting them recognized by pulse.

> I looked online and found a few things as shown below
>
> udevadm info -qall -p /sys/class/sound/card0/
> P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0
> E: UDEV_LOG=3
> E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0
> E: SUBSYSTEM=sound
> E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:14.2
> E: ID_PATH_TAG=pci-0000_00_14_2
> E: ID_FOR_SEAT=sound-pci-0000_00_14_2
> E: SOUND_INITIALIZED=1
> E: ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=ATI Technologies Inc
> E: ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> E: ID_BUS=pci
> E: ID_VENDOR_ID=0x1002
> E: ID_MODEL_ID=0x4383
> E: SOUND_FORM_FACTOR=internal
> E: SYSTEMD_WANTS=sound.target
> E: TAGS=:seat:systemd:
>
> pacmd list-cards
> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>  >>> 0 card(s) available.
>
> pactl stat
> Currently in use: 1 blocks containing 63.9 KiB bytes total.
> Allocated during whole lifetime: 8015 blocks containing 28.3 MiB
> bytes total.
> Sample cache size: 0 B
> User name: dfisher
> Host Name: dfpc47
> Server Name: pulseaudio
> Server Version: 0.9.23
> Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
> Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
> Default Sink: auto_null
> Default Source: auto_null.monitor
>
> pactl list provides a huge amount of output, but I noticed that "Sink
> #0" is the "Dummy Output".

Pulse is not aware that you have any sound devices.  Install the
package pavucontrol.  Start the app, and go to the last tab.  It allows
you to manage the devices there.  You will probably have to turn them
on, and make the correct device the default.

> The audoo card shows up under udev, but  pacmd list-cards says that
> no cards are available. Any ideas? Again, KDE can output sound, so
> the is something (many things:-) that I am missing.

Is there any way to tell what sound mechanism KDE is using to play?
Try opening a term in KDE and doing the
aplay another_brick_in_the_wall_part_2.wav
again.  Does it play?

Was your system a new install, or an upgrade?  If it was an install,
did you use a KDE live CD to install, or a DVD?  Have you installed
another low level sound library like OSS4?  I ask because this is so
unusual.  If we can't get this working, it would be great if you would
open a bugzilla for this and put in all the above answers in order to
get it fixed.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/