booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sun Mar 25 23:35:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:47 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, stan wrote:

> > There is something wrong with your install.
> >
> > You can try rebuilding your rpm database as root.
> > rpm --rebuilddb
> > This will take a while, depending on your package count.
>
> That did it.  I can use yum now.

Excellent, sounds like you are in business.

> Of course that does not explain what happened in the first place.

The database wasn't written properly because of hard drive or power
problems?  Faulty power supply levels can do really flaky things to a
computer.

> Also, I clilcked on at least three desktop environments.
> gnome is the only one that seems to be installed.

It sounds like the install really had issues.  You should be able to
groupinstall with yum now.