A bit OT: git - ridiculous memory requirements

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 14:54:40 UTC 2012

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 08:43 AM, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a cloned GCC git repository, on PC with 1.5GB of RAM and 3GB swap.
>>
>> When I run "$git gc --aggressive", I will get after few hours an error:

I'm curious why you're using git gc --aggressive on a freshly cloned
repository.  Any particular reason?

>> $ git gc --aggressive
>> Counting objects: 1332887, done.
>> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
>> fatal: Out of memory, malloc failed (tried to allocate 4838335 bytes)
>> error: failed to run repack
>> $
>>
>> 4.5GB of memory is not enough, what is that?

It's just a fact of the way --aggressive works by default.  You can
tune this a bit using the gc.aggressiveWindow config option.
Generally, git gc --aggressive isn't something you want to run.
Linus has said it...

     is mostly dumb. It's really only useful for the case of "I know I
     have a *really* bad pack, and I want to throw away all the bad
     packing decisions I have done".¹

> File a bug report

If you do, please use the git mailing list to report this.  As a
Fedora git maintainer, I can assure you that we won't be patching git
gc --aggressive ourselves.  And trying to ferry information back and
forth to the git list for a bug like this would be painful and
inefficient for everyone involved.

Ideally, you should probably experiment with git repack if you have a
need to trim the size of the repository.  Some discussion of this is
available at the same URL referenced earlier with Linus' commends on
git gc --aggressive not being all that useful.

¹ http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-12/msg00165.html

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe, he'll believe
you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it
to be sure.