Slightly OT

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun May 13 23:28:31 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 12:53 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>> I need to test 6 web sites for use with slow internet connections, eg
>> dial
>> up,ISDN, GPRS wireless, etc
>> Are there any Fedora 16 apps that would provide testing and reports
>> please?
>>
> What exactly are you testing _for_? Do you just mean are they up, or
> are they compromised, or penetration test? Or are you checking
> response time or ??? If you want to know if they're usable on dialup
> to a large extent that's a human judgement, and little trick to make a
> site feel faster make a huge difference.
>
> People can give you better answers if you ask a better question. :-)

I have been asked to test whether sites we are building with Drupal 7
will load rapidly, and what the response time may be for each page when
accessed with a minimal or older style computer which is on dial up,
etc, possibly with less than optimal copper to exchanges and homes, etc.
Currently the sites are in test phase, not live.
Where there are images on the site, these are few and minimal, 72dpi and
not larger than 300px square, most are on or below 150kb in size.

I have built functional html/css sites in the past and have a basic
understanding of how to construct a site that loads and responds under
those conditions but have no idea whether Drupal/php provides similar
load times for pages.

Under the rule, Cheap, Fast Reliable, choose any two, I would also like
to test conditions with possibly less than reliable and/or cheap isps
I'm volunteering my time and resources, so I wondered whether there was
a test app or some method that I could use rather than go and purchase
an old computer and some dial up time which would be useless after the
sites go live.

Thanks
Roger