Slightly OT

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon May 14 20:36:03 UTC 2012

Tim wrote:
> There are throttling options for proxy servers, like Squid, so you could
> try browsing through it (when throttled) to see a slower network
> response.  But that's not really a true test, slow networks have latency
> issues, too, not just slower throughput.

You could have a look at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem#Emulating_wide_area_network_delays
which tells you how to emulate all sorts of networking problems with a
filter built right into the Fedora kernel and a one-line root command.

(This came in really handy demonstrating why a UK-based website with
lots of reasonably small graphics was slow when Australians were looking
at it…)

Tip: don’t forget to replace eth0 with whatever your network device is
called these days.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which must
aprilcottage.co.uk | be a bit alarming for airline pilots...