Connecting to a Zeroconfig/Avahi printer

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue May 15 18:53:58 UTC 2012

Am 15.05.2012 16:24, schrieb Steven Stern:
> On 05/15/2012 08:57 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> http://localhost:631/
>>>
>>> CUPS does find network-printers via avahi
>>
>> Ensure that your Fedora client system's firewall has port 5353/udp
>> (mDNS) and 631/udp (IPP client) open, and things should generally Just
>> Work(tm).
>>

> It seems to be more than 5353 and 631.  With the iptables service
> running, I don't see the printer in CUPS. If I stop the iptables
> service, I do.  What's missing here?

it is only 5353 used BUT UDP, 100% sure and no there is no need
to open jetdirect INCOMING or other voodo

avahi works on UDP and your UDP rule looks strange
what is the "224.0.0.251" for?

you need open ports FROM YOU LOCAL NETWORK like 10.0.0.0/24
your other rules looking partly dangerous and way too wide open