nscd and DNS cache

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 02:11:48 UTC 2012

I have nscd running.
/etc/resolv.conf starts out with
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.254

The 192.168.1.254 is the router, which has been a fast and reliable
resolver.

So, to test nscd caching behavior,
I browse (using FF) over to any website.
After some time, the address is resolved and the page comes up.
I kill the tab of the page, and open a new tab and aim the browser
at same url. Browser again says: looking up whatever....com and takes
several seconds to resolve it.

I thought that nscd is supposed to cache the translation from the
first lookup.

Am I to believe that the browser is NOT using /etc/resolv.conf?
If not, what is it using?
Or could it be that nscd is useless in this respect?