nscd and DNS cache

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:19:44 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 12:41 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:42:20 -0600
> JD wrote:
>
>>> It isn't useless for me at work: It is the only thing that makes
>>> NIS lookups reliable. At some point in time, glibc apparently
>>> changed the timeout for NIS to something like 3 nanoseconds :-).
>> 3 ns?? So, what did you do to make it work?
> The smiley was for the 3 ns value. I have no idea what it actually
> is, but NIS only functions error free if I am running nscd on my
> local system. The slightest amount of network traffic that slows
> down the local network always results in NIS errors unless I'm
> running nscd. This happened somewhere around fedora 12 or 13 I
> seem to recall. Never ran nscd before that, and never had a
> problem, and none of the local network infrastructure changed,
> so I figured it must be something in libc that was more
> sensitive to slight delays in responses.
I see. Well, I must not have configured nscd properly then.
Currently enabled and running dnsmasq with the following config
options in /etc/dnsmasq.conf:

interface=em1
interface=lo
except-interface=virbr0
listen-address=10.0.0.1
cache-size=2000
no-negcache
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d

Per documentation, the interfaces are what it listens to
for resolution requests.
I assume the resolver library (/lib/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2)
configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal dns [NOTFOUND=return] myhostname

looks in /etc/resolv.conf to see that the first line is 127.0.0.1.

If there is a dnsmasq config option to force a longer ttl
(i.e. to delay invalidation of a translated domain), I do not know it.

Also, is the line

listen-address=10.0.0.1

redundant? since it is the address of interface em1, which is already
stated?

If you have any improvements I can make to the config options, please
share them.

Thanx,

JD