The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 17 16:42:53 UTC 2012

Am 17.05.2012 18:33, schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
>> sure?
>
> Yes.
>
>> i used a laptop from 2003 until 2011 as my main working machine
>> all the day and never came to the idea write a 6 GB to a slow
>> mobile-disk and load it the next time instead simply shutdown/boot
>
> Okay, so you don't want to use hibernate.  Do you also not even suspend?

as "simply shutdown/boot" -> no!

beside from the fact that i do not too often power on / off my
machines and the start in th emorining happens by drink coffee
for backup-reasons

i have all the time one 24/7 machine at home and EVERY TIME i
shut down my working machine it does a rsync to the home machine
of all my data - thunderbird/firefox as one example are not
really happy if you copy their sqlite files while they are
open -> menas your backup is inconsistent

yes, i am aware the this is not the workload of many people
but many people have lost some piece of data in the past
i never did because it is impossible that the is no recent backup