The death of Hibernate?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu May 17 14:04:24 UTC 2012

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

>> again: swap may be usefull if you have too few RAM
>> on modern machines starting with 8-16 GB this is esotheric
>
> I agree. With the advent of x86_64 and dirt cheap RAM swap
> files/partitions should be phased out. Hibernate and suspend are no
> longer necessary or helpful functions either (on machines sold today).

You are talking nonsense if by "modern" you mean "recent".

My daughter just bought an Asus laptop (1015BX) with 1GB RAM installed,
and a maximum 2GB RAM installable.

My home server is an HP MicroServer with 4GB RAM.
I could install 8GB but see no reason to.
Incidentally, I'm running CentOS on it;
I don't consider Fedora suitable for a server.

No-one is forcing you to use hibernate.
As for it being offered as an option,
surely there are dozens of options that you never use?

I suspect you live in a different world to the rest of us,
and should be wary of giving advice on what should or should not
be included in Fedora.

Ps I guess this should be directed at Reindl Harald, not you.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net