The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 17 20:27:55 UTC 2012

Am 17.05.2012 22:23, schrieb Darryl L. Pierce:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:09:36PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> i live in the world where someone starts his work in the
>> morining and powers on his computer once each day and
>> have all other machines running 365/7/24
>>
>> waking up from suspend to disk takes much longer as a cold start
>
> Can you provide some data to back this up? When I suspend my laptop it
> is far, far quicker to restore than a cold boot.

yes

> A suspend-to-usable operation is on the order of seconds

reading 16 GB RAm image in seconds?
not with slow disks

> A cold boot is 10s of seconds.

currently 25 seconds including a lot of services
not used on a typical end-user machine

>> and even if this is not interesting my expierience with applications
>> and services having open network connections is that it sucks if they
>> are woken up in another network
>
> The machine should be able to handle it like any other interruption to
> networking (network down, switching APs, etc.). If it doesn't then
> that's a separate problem to be solved.

depends on your environment

if you are connected to a lot of LAn services and wake
up the machine on another location where they are all
not available or have different IPs it is not funny