The death of Hibernate?

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Thu May 17 21:18:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> again: swap may be usefull if you have too few RAM
>> on modern machines starting with 8-16 GB this is esotheric
>
> I agree. With the advent of x86_64 and dirt cheap RAM swap
> files/partitions should be phased out. Hibernate and suspend are no
> longer necessary or helpful functions either (on machines sold today).
> --

Suspend no longer helpful? It is extremely helpful. I run a new
desktop and I constantly use it. It incomparably much better than
shutting down every time you have to leave for a longer period...not
to mention that you can "boot" in no time right back into your
previous desktop session this way. I never turn off the machine or
reboot unless I have to.

> users mailing list
> users at lists.fedoraproject.org

Best,