nscd and DNS cache

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri May 18 08:21:03 UTC 2012

On 05/18/2012 03:47 PM, JD wrote:
> I am indeed pointing my resolv.conf to the 2 google
> nameservers.
> You're probably right about our home network.
> I think the router has a very low bandwidth (hardware wise),
> probably because it doubles up as the decoder for the TV
> contents being viewed on 2 to 3 different TV's in the  house.
> TV signals come directly to the router on the coax, and then
> are sent back on the coax to the 3 TV sets.
> We're stuck with what we have.

Of course you can always use a tool such as dig to see what kind of response times
you are getting.

for example....

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ dig @8.8.8.8 www.ibm.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2-RedHat-9.8.2-1.fc16 <<>> @8.8.8.8 www.ibm.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.ibm.com.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.ibm.com.            452     IN      CNAME   www.ibm.com.cs186.net.