Fedora 16 continously rebooting

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Sat May 19 05:03:32 UTC 2012

Hello,
My F16 system seems to have gotten to a very strange state. It's a Dell
laptop. It started when I have the laptop unplugged, and I closed the lid.
Usually this makes it goes to sleep (i.e. suspend to RAM). This time, it
didn't seem so; the fan started to run in high speed, and after a while I re-
opened the lid and tried to wake up the machine without success. It was
unresponsive. I then decided to hard-kill it by pressing the power button for
several seconds.

This is where the strangeness started. I was able to boot it back, but then it
keeps rebooting after the boot process is done. It would get to the state
where I need to log in, and within several second, it would reboot itself.
This happens over and over.

I tried running it in single mode, it stills rebooting itself. "emergency"
mode stopped it from this reboot cycle, but as soon as I changed runlevel with
systemctl, it would reboot after it finishes loading the new runlevel.

I tried running linux rescue with F16 boot disk, chroot to the installation
root, updated the system, and reboot. And this continuous rebooting happens
again.

I even tried "upgrading" the system from F16 book disk (so, upgrade to
itself). And that doesn't solve the issue either.

I am running out of ideas. The only thing left is to completely re-install,
and I don't really want to do that right now as I have lots of stuff there
already. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AC