Upgrading F14->F15 on x64 - system freezes during cleanup

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat May 19 21:20:41 UTC 2012

On 5/19/2012 4:44 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012, David wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/2012 10:08 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>>
>>> Greeting,
>>>
>>> I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
>>> successfully since 2007).
>>>
>>> However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and
>>> the mouse became unresponsive.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Max Pyziur
>>> pyz at brama.com
>>

>> Max,
>>
>> Why did you update from a long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 14,
>> to another long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 15?
>
> Because I wanted to proceed sequentially.

That makes since. I was not criticizing just asking 'why' for possible
helpful information. Hopefully you did backup /home/<user_name>  (your
user directories)

> My current dilemma is trying to rescue the upgrade on this machine. Can
> you help with that?

Perhaps. At least I would like to try.

Does it boot at all or just nothing?

Does it get as far as the Grub Menu? If you can it might be a
kernel/grub error. If you can get to the Grub Menu boot to the older
kernel  and run CLI command:

yum-complete-transaction

<http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum-complete-transaction>

This fixed a bad upgrade for me.