wifi bit rate

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 05:00:55 UTC 2012

On 05/21/2012 09:53 PM, Jatin K wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 05:44 AM, JD wrote:

>>> Maybe it's because I'm also connected over ethernet, so wifi is not
>>> being used, so it's in powersaving mode of some kind..?
>>> See if your rate goes up/down if you're actively transferring a
>>> bunch of data.
>>>
>> My rate remains constant at 18mb/s
>>

> What I've observed is[1]  ( No activity on wlan0 )  Bit Rate is 1MB/s
> [1]-----------------
>  iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"cisco"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447 GHz  Access Point:
> 00:25:9C:89:DX:FC
>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=68/70  Signal level=-42 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:108  Invalid misc:4   Missed beacon:0
>
> Sending some data through wlan0 ( may be ping yahoo.com ) Bit Rate is
> 150MB/s
>
> [2]-------------
>
> iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"cisco"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447 GHz  Access Point:
> 00:25:9C:89:DX:FC
>           Bit Rate=150 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=69/70  Signal level=-41 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:102  Invalid misc:4   Missed beacon:0
>

> May be this can clear the matter :-)

I think your card has automatic power reduction mode
when idle - I had a card like that that refused to honor
iwconfig wlan0 power off
So, I got rid of it - because it had such a long lag time
of nearly half a minute to get back up to full speed.
But the current situation is that it stays fixed at 18mbps
whether active or not.