desktop problem

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed May 23 16:17:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:42 -0400, Andre Goree wrote:

> I currently have this same issue on a laptop I use for work running
> F16/KDE4, so perhaps this has something to do with graphics drivers (shot
> in the dark).  Do you happen to be running Intel graphics?

In my case, no; it's an Nvidia card.

> Sometimes suspend/resume works without issues, other it just completely
> takes a dump and I can only reboot to resolve the issue -- I can't even
> ctrl+alt+F2-12 to get to another console

This doesn't sound like quite the same issue I was seeing. Alternate
consoles worked just fine, the problem was only in the Gnome desktop
display, where the fonts would start blurring, eventually becoming
unreadable. Fonts inside terminal windows looked fine, it was only the
panels and menus that were messed up. It must be a Gnome-related
problem, otherwise just switching desktop environments would not have
fixed it; the problem does not occur in Xfce. But I run Gnome3 on
several other machines, with both Intel and Nvidia graphics chips, and
it works fine everywhere except this one desktop. Weird.

--Greg