Problem with Emacs

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:10:12 UTC 2012

Hi Steven,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Steven Ulrick <meow8282 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If its a local problem (1 & 2 above), while debugging you can start
>> emacs with the flag --debug-init to get a backtrace. This should help
>> you track down the problem.
>
> I just tried that and I am embaressed to ask, where will I find the
> resulting backtrace?  If it is supposed to be sent to the terminal,
> the problem that I am having seems to prevent me seeing a backtrace...
>  If it is located elsewhere, I am not able to find it's location.

Sorry my suggestion wasn't complete. Since its not the typical elisp
error, you will need to trigger the backtrace with something like `C-g'.
If that does not help, I would recommend you start emacs like this[1]:

$ emacs -nw -Q

Then in your scratch buffer evaluate the following:

  (setq debug-on-error t
        debug-on-signal nil
        debug-on-quit nil)

If your emacs is unresponsive and you can't type in your scratch buffer,
you could also try putting the above in a file, say minimal-init.el and
start emacs as:

$ emacs -nw -Q -l /path/to/minimal-init.el

Once emacs is running, try to trigger the backtrace with `C-g'. You can
post the backtrace[2] on some paste bin and provide a link to the list.
If this does not help tracking down the problem, I would suggest posting
to <bug-gnu-emacs at gnu.org> since we have already established its a
problem with your bare bones emacs.

GL

Footnotes:

[1] Lets leave out the alias bit for now, the simpler the test case,
    easier it is to debug.

[2] There might be some unintelligible characters in the backtrace, you
    can ignore them for now.

--
Suvayu