The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 26 11:21:13 UTC 2012

Am 26.05.2012 11:41, schrieb Heinz Diehl:
> Millions of small notebooks with 1 GB RAM have been sold,
> because they are small, able to run many hours solely on batteri,
> and because a lot of people don't have the money to buy something more
> expensive. In other words: they are quite common, and most of them run
> Linux just fine.

have yu considered that a böeeding edge distribution
maybe wrong for the oldest and cheapest hardware?

there are distributions specialized for such hardware

>> the argumentation of the crazy guy above was that RAm is
>> better used for caching as for unused running applications
>> which is completly wrong
>
> Why do you think it's wrong?

it is wrong

> There's more than just "one world"

there is only one world: swapping sucks performance

> depends entirely on what you want to do with your machine. Maybe, the "crazy
> guy above" is not as crazy as you claim he is:

not really

> "My point is that decreasing the tendency of the kernel to swap stuff
> out is wrong. You really don't want hundreds of megabytes of BloatyApp's
> untouched memory floating about in the machine.  Get it out on the
> disk, use the memory for something useful." (Andrew Morton)

my point is that increasing the tendency of the kernel to swap stuff
out is wrong, you really don't want hundrets of megabytes of
bloaty diskblocks untouched in memory and swap out applications

use the memory for applications instead of wait around a minute if
yo change the focus back to a application the OS swapped out