[UPDATED:] Re: confusion on /sbin/ifconfig on F16

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun May 27 15:39:06 UTC 2012

On 05/27/2012 08:59 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I really want to be able to put any card in any slot and match the label on the
> cable to the label on the NIC, and have scripts which don't have to be needlessly
> complex to discover the name of the interface

OK, but you do realize that you are simply shifting the complexity to the human.  If,
for example, you (or someone who works for you) change a network card whose cable was
labeled eth0 you will need to remember to edit the 70-persistent-net.rules.
Otherwise you'll end up with that new card being labeled eth(n-1)+1 where n is equal
to the number of interfaces you have.

FWIW, I believe, on a "normal" install the 70-persistent-net.rules doesn't exist.
So, you'd need to....

1.  yum erase biosdevname
2.  reboot the system to have it create the 70-persistent-net.rules file
3.  edit 70-persistent-net.rules to your liking
4.  reboot for the changes to take effect.

But, the flexibility is there as Reindl pointed out.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage