what name does com1 rs232 get in F16+ ?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 28 09:43:53 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 04:17 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Maybe this explains why I'm unable to access the serial port... once again SELinux
> more a pain in the ass rather than of real use...
>
> http://www.ukraa.com/www/faq/75-starbar/102-fedora15rxtx.html
>

>     Fedora 15 Unable to connect to serial port
>
> Written by Administrator Thursday, 25 August 2011 20:16
>
> Fedora 15 fails to connect to USB - Serial port or inbuilt serial port
>
> Fedora 15 comes with a restrictive user policy.
>
> Your user account need to be in the dialout group you can accomplish this with the
> command below run as the root user.
>
> usermod -a -G dialout <username>

And did you know that one needs to be part of the "wireshark" group to use wireshark
as a normal user?  And, you have to part of the "vboxusers" group to gain access to
USB devices when using VirtualBox?

This has nothing to do with selinux.  It is normal unix/linux limiting policy.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage