uuidd fails to start

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:32:26 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 08:39 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 11:37 PM, JD wrote:
>> after adding the lines to create dir /var/run/uuidd
>> and chowning it; starting the daemon just hangs.
>> # service uuidd start
>> Starting uuidd (via systemctl):
>> And it stays there forever until interrupted.
> Yes, I know.  I mentioned that in another message.  You can make that part of the bug
> report.
>
> But, all will start as needed on boot.  And, it is started if you ctrl-C.  See my
> other message about problems with "stop".

Stopping it seems to work just fine:
# systemctl stop uuidd.service
#
# ps -C uuidd
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
#

The hang has to do with the non-extant /var/lib/libuuid/uuidd.pid
But, if you copy /run/uuidd/uuidd.pid (after starting it of course),
to /var/lib/libuuid/uuidd.pid, the hang goes away.
I did this using 2 gnome-terminals side by side.
in one I started uuidd, and in the other I waited a few seconds
and did
cp -f /run/uuidd/uuidd.pid /var/lib/libuuid/uuidd.pid

and the start command in the other terminal immediately
completes without error.

I think the coders need to make up their mind where
the pid file needs to be.