remote access via VNC

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:22:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 06:26 PM, Tommy Pham wrote:
>> Is it possible to have remote access via VNC without having the user
>> to be logged in (automatically, especially on a system reboot)?
>
> I don't get the problem.  You don't have to be logged in on
> the console, or anything like that.  You just have to be able
> to start a vnc server, and you can do that via ssh.  What else
> do you want to do?
>
> Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I have no problems doing the major of the work needed via ssh and
command line.  However, there are a few things that requires the GUI,
specifically Oracle, for me to do a few things.  Setting the autologin
would allow me to VNC into the system, especially when the system is
rebooted.  However, that poses a security risk for me.  Basically, I'm
looking for something similar to MS Windows' RDP.  Whether the user is
logged or not, anyone with the right access can RDP in.  IIRC, the old
original VNC server used to do that on Windows.  I haven't used VNC
server in about 10~ years.

Thanks,
Tommy