Built in SD card reader problem

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue May 29 21:55:44 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 12:50 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 17:15 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>
> Moreover the Gnome notifier popped up asking me if I wanted to open the
> files in shotwell or in the file browser.
>
> All excited, I disentangled the SD card from the Pi and plugged that in
> instead. Nothing!
> Nothing at all in dmesg, /var/log/messages or udevadm.
>
> The two cards are identical form factor. The working one is made by
> Kingston, is 512Mb and does not have a "class" stamp on it (though it
> does have 3.3V printed in tiny letters).
> The one for the Pi is made by Integral, is 4Gb and is class 4.
>
> So why does one work and the other not?
>
> Thanks again for all the help so far. Much appreciated...
>
> Mark

Anything above 2GB (or newer than 3 years) is SDHC (High Capacity) which
is a small evolution of SD.  However, some old card readers cannot do SDHC.

Early on, there were several types of controllers on SD cards (yes,
there is a tiny controller with software on all storage cards).  Not all
card readers could read all types of controllers.  That has since been
pretty well settled, but is your laptop or card reader over 3 years
old?  Or was it a $6.00 special?  If either, it may in fact have some
limitations that you would not expect.

Have you 'googled' your part number to see if it can do SDHC, or have
you done many > 2GB cards before and have they all worked?

Have not seen this issue for several years, but I have seen it before.

Good Luck!