Making sound from Perl - How?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:23:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:45:48 +0100, agraham wrote:

> WARNING - LONG REPLY AHEAD

Great! That explained a lot.

> My application is SDL based and it needs to run on Fedora 14 >, but
> perl-SDL does not exist on F14 and the version that exists on FC17 is
> v2.2-6 which is too old for me I need 2.5x.

A holy grail scenario. Because F-14 has reached end-of-life in 2011:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life

As why perl-SDL has not been upgraded to 2.5xx ages ago, dunno. The
following ticket explains it a bit:

  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/perl-SDL
    -> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/728524

I also don't know why you want to stick to an unsupported distribution
release instead of using a long-time supported distribution.

It seems you would be served better with trying to make your software work
on the latest Fedora release plus working actively on making that release
include sufficiently recent software that meets your requirements. That
may require your help, however, in keeping such packages up-to-date. Also
with regard to bugs that affect you.

> Another problem with Audio::Ao/Libao  is PulseAudio prevents you using
> libao via its official documented interface!
>
> As an example, install vorbis-tools (to get ogg123) and play an ogg file:
>
> Audio Device:   PulseAudio Output
> Playing: file.ogg
> Ogg Vorbis stream: 2 channel, 44100 Hz
>
> ERROR: Cannot open device pulse. <-----

Works here. With F-17, however.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.28 0.17 0.12