Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu May 31 23:13:27 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 03:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just can't believe that
> it's as simply a matter of paying $99 once, no matter what your
> submitted bootloader does, or doesn't do.

AIUI, that fee isn't to get your arbitrary boot loader signed, it's to
*gain access* to the certification process.  Presumably you still have
to have your code audited to make sure that it does what it says it does
and only what it says it does.  Still, I'd be a lot happier if the
certification were done by a neutral third-party instead of by a
corporation with the anti-competitive reputation that MS has.