Anyone doing UPNP on Fedora ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 2 16:38:21 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 02 November 2012, Steve sent:
> Right now I am trying to share the media drive using uShare or XBMC.
> I get the same results with both.
>
> On the Android tablet I can see the shared folders using the Bubble
> UPNP  player, but they appear empty.   On a Fedora laptop I can mount
> the server using djmount and can see the folders as well, but they
> appear empty as well.  If I attempt to ls the folders, I get an
> "endpoint disconnected" error.

Whilst I have no experience with UPNP, what you've described sounds like
it could be a simple case of permissions (making the directories world
readable and executable, and all their parents, and the files world
readable), and/or SELinux contexts regarding sharing/serving files to
other users.

You see the same sorts of issues with other methods of serving files
(HTTP, Samba, et cetera).  Remote users are generally not authenticated
as being *you*, so they access them as *other* users.  And, SELinux is
generally set up to restrict access to files through services.

You might want to look for UPNP FAQs regarding file permissions and
SELinux.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.3-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 22 15:32:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.