Whatever happened to Wayland?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Oct 21 20:01:08 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 09:59 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> What would be some key benefits of replacing X with Wayland?

http://lwn.net/Articles/517375/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

Wayland lacks a lot of features that exist in X.org, currently.  I think
the idea that X11 can't be fixed, as presented in the first link, is
overstated.  X11 can definitely lock keyboard and mouse access, though
that functionality isn't used in all of the places that it's needed.  A
lot of my interest in Wayland is hope that they don't make input
handling *worse* than X11.