F17: Manual monitor adjustment required after each boot

Corinna Vinschen fedora at cygwin.de
Sat Sep 1 08:49:02 UTC 2012

On Aug 13 11:05, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since upgrading from F16 to F17, I have a weird problem with the
> monitor settings on my desktop machine.
>
> I'm using the nouveau driver.  The controller is an Nvidia GeForce 7100
> GS.  The controller is somewhat older, it has one DVI and one VGA plug.
> Attached are two LCD monitors running a single desktop spread over both
> monitors.
>
> Running under F16, everything worked as expected.  With F17, every time
> I boot the machine, the monitor attached to the VGA plug is wrongly
> adjusted, but always in a different way.  Sometimes it's just a bit off
> and text on the screen is flickering.  Sometimes the entire picture is
> too wide, sometimes it's off to the right, or to the bottom, etc.
> Either way, every morning I now have to press the magic key sequence
> on the monitor to readjust the picture.
>
> Did anybody encounter the same problem?  Does anybody know how to fix
> this, perhaps?

For the records, I found the reason for this problem.  It was apparently
caused by a grub update.  Grub2 was using the same maximum monitor
resolution as I'm using in the GUI, 1280x1024.  For some reason the
adjustment for the monitor is a bit different each time in grub, and the
monitor can only handle one adjustment per resolution.  I changed the
grub2 settings so that the grub2 menu is shown in another resolution,
(GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480), and the problem vanished.

Corinna